Wednesday, December 07, 2005

My Circular Shrug

Pattern:Circular Shrug on Craftster
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Sugarplum
Needles: size 9 Plymouth Sister Set Interchangable circs

I finally finished my shrug!! Remember, I was originally using the Suss Chunky Shrug Pattern but that was too cropped for me....then I found this wonderful pattern over at Craftster. I modified it a little bit. I used a 1x1 rib for the body instead of the mock rib. Oh, and don't knit this in a circle - knit as if knitting with straights. I only used my circs b/c it's easier for me since I was able to use my longest cord to hold all of the stitches.

CO 178
Work 2x2 rib for 5 inches (30 rows)
K2tog, P2toget *Repeat to end (end up with 89 stitches)
Work 1x1 rib for 20 inches (~120 rows)
M1k, k1, m1p, p1 until end of row (end up with 178 stitches)
Work in k2p2 rib for 5 inches
BO all st.

Fold in half (where cast on folds to meet bind off end)
Stitch up the side (I think I used mattress seam) leaving about 6 inched unstitched (these make the armholes). I am very picky - I seamed the side so that when I turn it the right side out, you can still see the knit and purl pattern - this was important to me since you can see it from the front.

I actually knitted a swatch - first time ever!! I usually like to just start knitting. I actually knitted the swatch with the mock rib. When I started to actually knit this sweater using the Circular Shrug pattern, I just wasn't feeling the mock rib - so I frogged my work - and redid it in the 1x1 rib for the body. I haven't worn this our yet, but I think it looks pretty decent. :)


Well, here's the Lux Circle SweaterVest from Urban Outfitters and my knock-off. The UO one cost $54....the yarn for mine cost a lot less but it did take me a long time to knit it. What do you think? Pretty good knock-off, huh?

3 Comments:

Blogger Thea said...

very nice - I like the Urban Outfitters comparison! Think I'll try one myself - looks like a perfect party dress cover up....

December 10, 2005 6:44 AM  
Blogger Julsey said...

Nice job on the circular shrug - looks just like the original UO version! They took the pattern off the site shortly after we started fuddling with it! Also wanted to thank you for the Irish Walking Hat pattern, I am gonna make one for each of my family members this holiday :)

December 11, 2005 8:18 AM  
Blogger Julsey said...

I mean they took the photos down -- oops! they never had a pattern (HAHA)

December 11, 2005 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home